The official trailer is out now for the long-awaited Australian cg feature Scarygirl, which recently got a world premiere at the Sydney Film Festival. The film will premiere in Australia on October 26.
The trailer looks fantastic and has a charming visual style that leans heavily into the franchise’s graphic novel and vinyl toy roots. No details yet on when the film will be available in the States, but we’ll keep you posted.
- Scarygirl is directed by Ricard Cussó and Tania Vincent. The screenplay was written by Polly Watkins, Matt Everitt, Les Turner, and Craig Behenna. Sophie Byrne, Nadine Bates, Kristen Souvlis, and Ryan Greaves are producers.
- Scarygirl was created by Nathan Jurevicius and has already been the subject of a graphic novel, vinyl toys, consumer products, a Flash game, and a Playstation Portable/PC game from TikGames and Square Enix.
- The animated feature is produced by Passion Pictures Australia – which first licensed the franchise’s film rights back in 2004 – and Like a Photon Creative with animation services handled by Cosmic Dino Studio. Madman Films is distributing in Australia.
- Synopsis: When her world is threatened by a loss of sunlight, a young girl must overcome her fears and journey to a fantastical city, save her father from a mysterious scientist and prevent the destruction of her planet.
- The film’s voice cast includes Jillian Nguyen, Sam Neill, Tim Minchin, Anna Torv, Liv Hewson, Mark Coles Smith, Deborah Mailman, and Dylan Alcott.