Hosted by the QFTC (Quebec Film and Television Council), the second edition of Montreal-based CAFÉ (Conference, Animation, FX, and Expertise), running May 16-17, will bring together over 800 FX and animation specialists and professionals. The event offers networking opportunities and the chance to learn about the latest innovations, advances, and technologies.
This year’s event features some 50 experts who will share their technical and artistic expertise via conferences and panels. The event will also host a special lecture on Sony Pictures Animation’s upcoming feature, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse.
The event will focus on three main themes: technology, creativity, and industry – wellness at work and inclusion.
- Technology: Discussions in emerging and innovative technologies in the field of computer graphics
- Creativity: Everything related to the creative elements of visual effects and animation will be covered, from the script to the screen, including the design of fantastic creatures and the discreet integration of weather effects.
- Industry, wellness at work, and inclusion: Exploration of the culture and the industry’s landscape, including leadership expertise, social action, and innovative approaches to nurturing talent.
CAFÉ will also feature guest talks, such as Academy Award-nominated Geoffrey Baumann, Production VFX Supervisor for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Baumann has been with Marvel since 2011 and boasts 23 years of experience, including 15 years with Digital Domain, where he worked on 18 films.
An exclusive keynote conference will focus on the highly anticipated Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, with a sneak peek two weeks before the film’s theatrical release in June 2023.
The Montréal-based studio Raynault FX will host a talk about its contribution to the VES-nominated television series The Old Man. Pixar Animation is also on the event program.
Here are some other highlights of the 2023 edition of CAFÉ:
- Living spaces – different thematic zones in a casual lounge for peers to interact and unwind
- Networking activities via a business fair
- A round table and various panels hosted by SYNTHÈSE and CDRIN featuring researchers from academia and visual effects companies discussing applied research
- A launch cocktail and a closing party
“Quebec’s creativity and cutting-edge expertise have often been showcased and are more than ever recognized internationally,” commented Christine Maestracci, QFTC CEO. “Thanks to the talent, creativity, and expertise of Quebec studios and artists, the visual effects and animation sectors have experienced spectacular and exceptional growth over the past 10 years. They contribute to Quebec’s standing as one of the world’s three great hubs for these types of activity, alongside Los Angeles and London. From 2017 to 2022, these sectors have seen an increase in direct spending, taking it from $317 million to $1.07 billion.”
A QFTC initiative presented by Kaliko Productions, CAFÉ 2023 will be held at Montréal’s Palais des congrès on Tuesday, May 16 and Wednesday, May 17.
All tickets include access to talks, activities, and living spaces. The business tickets also grant access to the business lounge, the cocktail parties, and the MeetToMatch business meeting platform.
Tickets are available here.
Source: Quebec Film and Television Council