Disney has ordered the revival of Phineas and Ferb from original series creator Dan Povenmire as part of a new overall deal between the creator and Disney Branded Television.
- The deal includes a 40-episode order of Phineas and Ferb, divided into two seasons. Along with the revival, Povenmire’s current show Hamster & Gretel will get a second season. It has not yet been announced where Phineas and Ferb will end up, but Disney Branded TV currently produces shows across Disney Channel, Disney+, Disney Junior, and Disney XD.
- Disney’s logline for the new series will be familiar to fans of the contemporary classic: “Phineas and Ferb depicts two resourceful stepbrothers who conquer boredom and make every day of summer vacation count, often to the chagrin of their sister Candace.”
- According to Variety, sources close to the situation have indicated that talks are currently happening to bring back the show’s other creator, Jeff “Swampy” Marsh, for the reboot.
- After previewing on the Disney Channel in 2007, Phineas and Ferb premiered in earnest in 2008 on the network and ran until 2015 on Disney Channel and Disney XD. The IP has also seen two film adaptations, Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension and Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Candace Against the Universe.
- According to Povenmire: “It has been the greatest pleasure of my career to see how an entire generation of kids and parents have embraced the characters and the humor of Phineas and Ferb. I’m eagerly looking forward to diving back into the show for them and for a whole new generation.”
- Meredith Roberts, executive vice president of animation at Disney Branded Television added: “Dan is a true mastermind, and his brilliant brand of storytelling has always been infused with a kind-spirited and optimistic sense of humor which continues to strike a perfect chord with audiences the world over. On behalf of everyone at Disney Television Animation, we’re so pleased to continue our association with Dan and his inspiring creative team ― visionary producers, writers, animators, song composers and directors who have entertained and connected with generations of viewers.”