Netflix has announced that Wednesday, the streamer’s new hit series focused on the deadpan eldest Addams Family daughter, will be returning for a second season – more details are coming! Meanwhile, check out the just-dropped video announcement below.
The sleuthing, supernaturally infused mystery series chronicles Wednesday Addams’ years as a student at Nevermore Academy. Her attempts to master her emerging psychic ability thwart a monstrous killing spree that has terrorized the local town. She is left to solve the supernatural mystery that embroiled her parents 25 years ago while navigating her new and very tangled relationships at Nevermore.
In an interview with Tudum.com, creators/showrunners/executive producers Alfred Gough and Miles Millar commented, “It’s been incredible to create a show that has connected with people across the world. Thrilled to continue Wednesday’s tortuous journey into season two. We can’t wait to dive headfirst into another season and explore the kooky spooky world of Nevermore. Just need to make sure Wednesday hasn’t emptied the pool first.”
The show debuted in November 2022, and as reported by Netflix, it’s one of the streamer’s most successful series ever, ranking #2 on the Most Popular (English) TV list with 1.237 billion hours viewed within its first 28 days.
Here are a few well-deserved boastful titbits provided by the streamer:
- More than 182 million households have seen the series since its debut. (1.237B hours divided by 6.8 hours)
- Wednesday crossed the 1-billion-hour view mark only three weeks after debut – joining Stranger Things 4 and Squid Game as the third title to reach this milestone within its first 28 days.
- The series broke the record for the most hours viewed in a week for an English-language TV series on Netflix twice – when it debuted in the #1 spot with a record-breaking 341.23M hours viewed and again in its second week with 411.29M hours viewed.
- To date, Wednesday has had six consecutive weeks with over 100+M hours viewed on the English TV List.
- On TikTok, #WednesdayAddams has amassed over 22 billion views
- The Wednesday soundtrack reached #1 on the iTunes Soundtrack chart, remaining in the Top 10 for three weeks. Wednesday Addams, the artist, now has over 1 million followers on Spotify.
- On Spotify, “Goo Goo Muck” by The Cramps saw a streaming increase of more than 9.5K% compared to the month prior to the series release.
- Wednesday’s iconic dance scene has gone massively viral across global social media. Fan-generated content using “Bloody Mary” by Lady Gaga led to a streaming increase of more than 1,800% of the song on Spotify compared to the month before the series release, with even Lady Gaga joining in on the fun.
- With over 80 million views, fans can’t get enough of the cast’s reaction to the iconic dance scene video.
- Wednesday’s viral makeup look has been searched for and viewed over 100 million times by fans on TikTok.
- Wednesday products are in high demand, with select items selling out at retailers like Hot Topic, MAC, and Cakeworthy.
So, get your middle finger and thumb primed – SNAP, SNAP! – and enjoy the video announcement because it’ll have to hold you until the next season!
The Season 1 cast and crew includes:
Catherine Zeta-Jones stars as Morticia Addams, with Luis Guzmán as Gomez Addams and Isaac Ordonez as Pugsley Addams. The cast also includes Jenna Ortega (Wednesday Addams); Gwendoline Christie (Principal Larissa Weems)’ Jamie McShane (Sheriff Galpin); Percy Hynes White (Xavier Thorpe); Hunter Doohan (Tyler Galpin); Emma Myers (Enid Sinclair); Joy Sunday (Bianca Barclay); Naomi J Ogawa (Yoko Tanaka); Moosa Mostafa (Eugene Ottinger); Georgie Farmer (Ajax Petropolus); Riki Lindhome (Dr. Valerie Kinbott); with Christina Ricci (Marilyn Thornhill).
The series is directed by, and executive produced by Burton. Season 1 VFX were handled by FOLKS; FX Legion; Ghost VFX; MARZ; MELS; Mr.X (now MPC); NetFX; Rocket Science VFX; Stereo D; and Take 5. Painting Practice handled previs and design. The production VFX supervisor is Tom Turnbull; Kent Johnson serves as VFX producer.